Saturday, February 27, 2010

Huevos Rancheros

Big weekend breakfasts are a great treat and provide a nice contrast for me from my hurried weekday morning fare. Today, we "put together" our huevos rancheros, which for our version, is really more combining the four elements than actually making a dish. The key is to have the constituent parts ready at the same time.
First, I make Lacey's Salsa. I mix together about a third of a red onion (diced), 1 can of tomatoes with green chiles, 1 tbs of lemon juice, 1 tsp of chopped cilantro and 1 tsp of cumin. This actually is much better on the second day, so doing this the night before is ideal but not absolutely necessary.
Next, I broke 5 eggs (from my Dad's hens; they are so much better than store bought) and mixed them really well in the bowl and set them aside. Then I browned about 1/4 lb of chorizo, which is Mexican sausage. When I'm lucky, I have some homemade sausage from Tom Parlanti, who makes sausage as his hobby (his father was a butcher in NYC). Let me know if you want to try it and I'll hook you up.
While the sausage was cooking, I deep fried 4 corn tortillas in oil to make them crunchy. When the tortillas were almost done I quickly scrambled the eggs.
The tortillas go on the plate first, followed by the eggs and sausage. On top, spoon on the salsa. You can add some Mexican cheese to cut some of the spice, but if you skip it, you won't even notice. It is crunchy, savory, spicy goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment