Friday, February 26, 2010

Giuseppe's Ristorante Italiano

The kids are at their Grandparents, so we're going out for dinner tonight. Thus, today's entry will be shorter, but I still wanted to share my thoughts on what we'll be eating. I'll admit I have struggled to come to this conclusion, but I have to just admit it: I love Giuseppe's (http://giuseppeslexington.com).
This is somewhat of a concession for me, because the "thing" in our marriage is that we don't agree very much. This isn't a relationship blog so I won't bore anyone, but the thumbnail version is we come to our decisions by debate. It works for us, even if it makes my parents uncomfortable. My wife long ago announced Giuseppe's is her favorite place to eat in town and she would eat there happily four nights a week for a year before she ordered something other than the manicotti she'll be having tonight. With her so committed to, and confident about, this decision, I was compelled to resist: they don't really do anything creative or original and where is the art in covering everything with cheese? The problem with my position is that the food there is so darn good. Every time. And the service rocks. And its kind of hidden and not very popular with people who don't live here so you can get a table on Friday night. And they take reservations. And did I mention the food? They do have specials and if you can pass up your favorite on the menu, maybe something new will be phenomenal, but I rarely can. I usually have lasagna, which they make with sirloin and sausage and yes, lots of cheese and it is simply great.
So here's the bottom line: the next time you're in Lexington and are thinking Italian, try Giuseppe's. Order the Fontina cheese gnocchi as your appetizer and then try to tell me you ever ate something better. Anywhere. I kind of hate it when she's right....

1 comment: